At anbangseasidevillage.com, we love traveling by train in Vietnam. The views are incredible and it’s such a relaxing way to get around the country. In this blog post, we’ll share tips on taking the train from Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Saigon) up to Da Nang along the scenic coast. Read on for information about train times, ticket booking, scenery along the way, and things to do once you arrive in Da Nang.
Overview of the Train Route from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang
The train journey from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang covers a distance of about 780 miles (1255km) and takes around 33 hours direct. The route passes along the southeastern coast, through towns like Nha Trang before turning inland towards the central highlands and Da Nang.
Some of the highlights along the train route include beautiful beaches, mountains, rivers, rural villages, and farmland. Major stops include stations in Qui Nhon, Dieu Tri, Quang Ngai, and Tam Ky before arriving in Da Nang. It’s an incredibly scenic way to travel through Vietnam.
Booking Tickets for the Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang Train
There are a few options for booking train tickets from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang:
- Directly via the Vietnam Railways website
- Through a travel agency or hotel in Vietnam
- In person at the train stations in Ho Chi Minh City or Da Nang
We recommend booking in advance online, especially for long-distance sleeper carriages. There are several trains daily covering the route between the two cities. Ticket classes available include hard sleeper, soft sleeper, hard seat, and soft seat.
For a comfortable journey, we suggest booking a soft sleeper berth. Print out your ticket and arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Train Times from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang
Here is an overview of departure and arrival times for the trains running between Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang:
- From Ho Chi Minh City: Trains depart at 19:20, 20:00, and 20:10, taking around 32-33 hours to reach Da Nang.
- From Da Nang: Trains depart at 19:50 and 20:10, also taking around 32-33 hours to reach Ho Chi Minh City.
Keep in mind train times can fluctuate so reconfirm your departure time. Have some buffer time planned when arranging onward travel connections from Da Nang.
Top Sights Along the Train Route
One of the best parts of taking the train from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang is getting to see Vietnam’s incredible landscapes. Here are some top sights along the way:
- Beaches – Stunning sandy beaches with turquoise waters, especially around Nha Trang.
- Fishing villages – See local life in the colorful fishing villages and ports.
- Rivers and bridges – Watch rivers winding through the countryside and cross railroad bridges.
- Mountains – In the central highlands, the train passes through mountainous terrain.
- Farmlands – Endless green rice paddies and farms cultivated by water buffalo.
- Small towns – Quaint rural Vietnamese towns with local markets and noodle shops.
Things to Do in Da Nang After Arriving by Train
As one of Vietnam’s most livable cities, there are many great things to do in Da Nang when you arrive by train from Ho Chi Minh City, including:
- Relax on My Khe Beach, one of Asia’s most beautiful beaches.
- Visit French Colonial architecture and shops at Han Market.
- See the Dragon Bridge light up with fire and water shows at night.
- Take a day trip to the ancient town of Hoi An.
- Marvel at Lady Buddha at the iconic Linh Ung Pagoda.
- Explore local street food tours and restaurants.
- Visit the Cham Museum to learn about Vietnam’s Cham culture.
- Take a boat trip to the scenic Son Tra Peninsula.
- Check out the Da Nang Cathedral with its unique pink exterior.
With its combination of natural beauty, cuisine, history and friendly locals, Da Nang is the perfect place to relax and recharge after an epic train ride from Ho Chi Minh City.
We hope this guide provides useful tips for your train trip between Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang. Let us know if you have any other questions as you plan your travels in Vietnam. Enjoy the incredible views along the way!